Subchapter 08M – Peer Review Program
Section .0100 – General Peer Review Requirements
08M .0105 Peer Review Requirements
(a) A CPA or CPA firm providing any of the following services to the public shall participate in a peer review program:
(2) reviews of financial statements;
(3) compilations of financial statements; or
(4) agreed-upon procedures or engagement [sic] to be performed in accordance with the Statements on Standards for Attestation Engagements.
(b) A CPA or CPA firm not providing any of the services listed in Paragraph (a) of this Rule is exempt from peer review until the issuance of the first report provided to a client. A CPA or CPA firm shall register with the peer review program as listed in Paragraph (d) of this Rule within 30 days of the issuance of the first report provided to a client.
(c) A CPA, a new CPA firm or a CPA firm exempt from peer review that starts providing any of the services in Paragraph (a) of this Rule shall furnish to the peer review program selected financial statements, corresponding work papers, and any additional information or documentation required for the peer review program within 18 months of the issuance of the first report provided to a client.
(d) Participation in and completion of one of the following peer review programs is required:
(1) AICPA Peer Review Program; or
(2) Any other peer review program found to be equivalent to Subparagraph (1) of this Paragraph with advance approval by the Board.
(e) CPA firms shall not rearrange their structure or act in any manner with the intent to avoid participation in peer review.
(f) A CPA firm that does not have offices in North Carolina and that has provided any services as listed in G.S. 93-10(c)(3) to North Carolina clients is required to participate in a peer review program.
(g) Subsequent peer reviews of a CPA firm are due three years and six months from the year end of the 12 month period of the first peer review unless granted an extension by the peer review program.
08M .0106 Compliance
(a) A CPA firm registered for peer review shall provide to the Board the following:
(1) Peer review due date;
(2) Year end date;
(3) Final Letter of Acceptance from peer review program within 60 days of the date of the letter; and
(4) A package to include the Peer Review Report, Letter of Response and Final Letter of Acceptance for all failed and second passed with deficiencies reports issued by a peer review program within 60 days of the date of the Final Letter of Acceptance.
(b) A peer review is not complete until the Final Letter of Acceptance is issued by the peer review program with the new due date.
(c) If a CPA firm fails to comply with 21 NCAC 08M .0105(c), (d), or (g), and continues to offer or render services, the Board may take disciplinary action against the CPA firm’s members which may include:
(1) one hundred dollar ($100.00) civil penalty for non-compliance of less than 60 days;
(2) two hundred fifty dollar ($250.00) civil penalty for non-compliance in excess of 60 days but not more than 120 days; and
(3) a suspension of each member’s CPA certificate for a period of not less than 30 days and a civil penalty of five hundred dollars ($500.00) for non-compliance in excess of 120 days.
08M .0107 Ethical Duties of Reviewer
(a) A reviewer shall be independent with respect to the reviewed CPA firm and comply with the AICPA Standards for Performing and Reporting on Peer Reviews.
(b) Information concerning the participating CPA firm or its clients or personnel that is obtained as a consequence of the review is confidential and shall not be disclosed to anyone not involved in the peer review process.